Monday, June 1, 2009

Outdoor Wishlist Item #1

The back of our house faces west which means we get a lot of sun on our deck (yes, we get sun here!). The heat and glare makes for an uninviting spot to dine alfresco. A market umbrella would work but I'm thinking of something more interesting...Something like this:

We know someone who is a sailmaker and roughly quoted a project like this at around a few hundred dollars. Cool, no?

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I would've never thought of this, but with your house and style? Perfection.

MLH said...

These are very popular in Australia - there are different SP protection grades as well as shade coverage - make sure you check that out before you decide on the material. The recommendation is to dip the sail a little in the direction the sun goes down over the area... we loved ours and it is a very stylish and cost effective solution for seasonal use.

Georgia said...

I can't see from the picture...Is it tied to something (a tree, a pole, etc.)? There are retractable awnings you can get, too, that aren't that expensive, so you don't block the sun when you want to enjoy it.

Adrienne said...

love it! who thought a sun screen could be so beautiful?

Mom A said...

I've seen these various places in our travels and I LOVE them!