Monday, April 13, 2009

Bunny Town

I need to take pictures of the chickens because they are getting so big. They seriously doubled in size while I was in France. We are still smitten and are enjoying them so much.

The chickens will be ready to go in a coop in 4 or 5 weeks but we are so wrapped up in finishing our deck (we extended it 5 feet and added stairs down to the yard) that we have no time to work on it. Enter craigslist (choir sings hallelujah praises) where we found the nicest man who advertised his services of building custom coops. He is working with our meager budget and everything. We went to his house this weekend to discuss the coop and lo and behold he had a huge area in his backyard with at least 2 dozen chickens and a bunch of bunnies. The kids were in heaven (I'm sure the neighbors are in hell, he had roosters too) and got to hold baby bunnies for the first time.

On the way home Ella exclaimed "when I get to be a grown up I'm not going to get a dog, I'm going to get a bunny!". They were pretty cute...





6 comments:

Rachel said...

You inspired us with your chickens, and we now have 5 little ones! We (me especially) are having such a great time with them. We are also having a coop made, and found some great plans on line. I spend alot of time researching things, it's a slow learning curve. I wish I lived near someone who has chickens. We are not zoned for "farm" animals, and one of our neighbors is going to give us some trouble, I fear. Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Amy D. said...

That is perhaps the cutest picture I have ever seen of Noah. Look how proud he is of that bunny!! And P.S., he looks 10. Can't wait to see you. xoxo

Amanda said...

Chickens AND bunnies in one yard? Kid heaven. I can't wait to hear more of the chicken travails. I would really love some but I've also thrown out to people that I want ducklings and everyone tells me I'm crazy.

We know someone who has chickens and he keeps them truly as pets. He holds them in his lap as he watches TV and brings them in and puts them in the tub when it gets cold. Can you imagine his wife cleaning that tub the next day?

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh cute!!!!

we chirp said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Amanda's and she highly recommends this blog. My brother and fam are up in Seattle and have had chickens for years. They built their own coop, on a budget, so in case craigslist guy doesn't work out I'm sure they would love to help you guys out. Plus, maybe you chickens and theirs can have playdates, right? But they have had trouble with life-size raccoons eating their chickens... Kelly (SIL) says they are fearless beasts. Good luck!

Georgia said...

The photos are TOO CUTE!