Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sarlat

After traveling for 18 plus hours to get to France, we headed to the Dordogne region 5 hrs. south of Paris. At this point we were not looking so hot and I wasn't smelling so great either but we had to stop in Sarlat and run an errand. I pity the lady in the kitchen store that had to help two grubby Americans who spoke a little (Steph) or no (me) French.

Sarlat was the "biggest" town in the area and it was darling. I couldn't get over how beautiful everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) was in France. The buildings, the street signs, the shop windows, the landscape...They have so much style it's amazing. We wandered around the town the next day and hit the tail end of the local market. We ran into Steph's favorite spice lady and spent 80 euros between the two of us on spices. It gets worse. THEN we went to the grocery store and spend another 50 euros at least each on food. I bought cookies, pasta, mustard, rice, among other things that we either can't get or are over-priced in the States. We are total food dorks, spending our money at the grocery store! It was so much fun...

This is the darling town square, quintessential France!



Check out how big these doors are! I'm just wondering why in the world they needed doors that big...

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Welcome home! Look at the beautiful little city - what a treasure. I really envy you spending all that time in such a magical place with your sister. And as for buying groceries? Of course! What better to buy than spices and sundries (especially when French packaging is usually so attractive) that will last and be a long reminder of your time there.

Again, welcome back. Glad to have you. (Wait, I think you're back, but maybe you're posting from abroad. EIther way, miss your posts!)

Sarah boo said...

what did you buy at the kitchen store?

Rebecca said...

Your trip looks like it was AMAZING. Next time, I wanna come too! ;)

Stephanie said...

I'm so laughing at us in this post. We are dorks! But I'd do it again in a second!