I've been asked by a few people for a homeschooling update (curious as to whether I've gone crazy yet?) so here goes:
This semester the kids are taking great classes at the EHRC. Ella is taking Scientific Process, Raven Science (named for the teacher Brian Raven), Mystery and Adventure Writing and Papercrafting. Will is taking Science, Literature, a math games class called Box It Bag It and a Group Games class (we snuck him in with the third-sixth graders!). Noah and I hang out in the playroom while the kids are in class or I trade off with friends so I can help out in a class or two. We feel like we get the best of both worlds, both homeschooling and public schooling, with the EHRC. It is part of the Edmonds School District so the district gets money from us enrolling the kids there, but their primary education still takes place at home.
At home we are working on grammar, social studies (we finished with the SE Indian tribes and are working on SW Indians now), geography, math, scripture study, etc. The kids are memorizing the presidents of the U.S. and all of the state capitals. We've also read several books this year including Swiss Family Robinson, The War of the Worlds, The Jungle Book, Oliver Twist and are currently reading Anne of Green Gables. Ella also does copy work from a compilation of poems. Ella is still in the Seattle Childrens' Chorus and Will is rocking it on the piano. I don't even have to ask him to practice! He goes through all of his songs by himself as well as the workbooks. Pretty impressive.
We work on school stuff anywhere from 3-5 hours a day and the rest of the time the kids are playing or we're out and about. We go to the YMCA 4 or 5 times a week and the kids love running around with their "Y friends". I'm especially looking forward to the spring when we can spend more and more time outside in the yard and hopefully working in the garden!
As for me, I love it. I enjoy my days, as busy as they can be, and get a lot done. I do all of my studying (I'm finishing my bachelor's degree, 15 credits left!) and house projects at night. I seem to get more done since we don't have tv channels anymore...I wonder why... :) I've also met some great friends at the EHRC so I don't feel isolated and whatnot.
Life is good. We're very mindful of these hard times and are grateful for a home to live in, a job for Jon and lots of family time.
Did I cover all of your questions? Anything else? :)
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
So Far So Good
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
sounds like the fruits of the right decision to me ... we are very proud of you!
It does sound like you made a very good decision and I enjoy reading your home-school updates.
Sounds like you've got it down! How lucky your kids are! I'll bet E. loves the study of the Native Americans, too!
Post a Comment