This is the phrase Ella used when she was a toddler and was nervous or frightened by something. We've come to realize over the years that there are a lot things for kids to be scared of, particularly "kids" movies. The two that come to mind for me are Pete's Dragon (those people chasing him are SCARY!) and Return to Oz. If you haven't seen the latter it's the sequel to Wizard of Oz and is so freaky. Jon was about to put it in our netflix queue and I put a stop to that. I would have wheelie nightmares for weeks.

What "kids" movies scared you as a child?
Thursday, January 29, 2009
That Scares Me A Little Bit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Matt: The Blob, the 1950's version. I was so scared of that movie, I locked myself in the bathroom during the entire movie, while Amy, Nathan and Sarah watched it. The Last Starfighter, when the clone is under the blanket. Ernest Scared Stupid. Them.
Megan: The tunnel scene from the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Return to Oz scares me even more now than it did when I was a kid, I think. The Disney version of Through the Looking Glass is pretty bizarre and terrifying, too...both of those were favorites of mine as a kid and played all of the time on that channel.
For some reason Fantasia scares me. I'm not sure why but it always has. I still can't watch it.
Do you remember Disney's "Watcher in the Woods"? I don't remember the details, but I didn't like it.
I was just going to say what the last commenter said. Whoever thought Watcher in the woods was a good thing to show me was a fiend. Seriously.
An addendum to my last comment: The Peanut Butter Solution is the creepiest kids movie I've ever seen. It's a Canadian movie that played when I was young on TV. It's one of those weird movies that I remembered so vaguely as I grew up that I wasn't sure if it was a real movie, or just a terrible nightmare I had one time. I found a VHS version of it at a friend's house 4 years ago, and finally realized that it was indeed real. Check it out on YouTube.
I second all of your choices! I checked out the Peanut Butter Solution on youtube and talk about bizarre! Also, we went to Disneyland this past summer and saw the Fantasia show at night and it was really spooky, parts of it evil almost!
I saw the movie, 13 Ghosts, when I was 8 years old . . . at the Grand Theatre in Greenwood. We had red and blue cellophane viewfinders to "see" or "not see" the ghosts. In one scene, the top part of a canopy bed slowly drops onto a sleeping person below in order to suffocate them. For years my stomach knotted up when I saw a canopy bed and even today . . . . . . well, let's say, I would never buy a canopy bed!
My two - Something Wicked This Way Comes and Watcher in the Woods - are mentioned at this link, along with a potential third if they do it right!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40003
Dumbo - when he gets drunk (didn't know that as a kid) and has all those freaky hallucinations.
American Tale - I'm told I didn't like it because Feivel gets lost from his mom. But I think there was a bit of the nasty, creepy rat thrown in there too.
Post a Comment