This is something I have always struggled with- making huge decisions. Today at church I learned a few things about making major decisions and I wanted to share them. I don't usually "get my spiritual on" on my blog as my friend Julie puts it but here goes nothin'. There was a gentleman who used to be a leader in our church speaking to the youth about making decisions, how to do this and how it can affect your life. He said that he feels that we are free to choose and that God doesn't expect us to pray about every little thing. That is why we have free agency and we need to exercise it to make good choices. Now when something major weighs on our minds we should study it out, make the decision and then pray about it. If we don't feel good about it, we make a different decision but if we do feel good about it we should move forward. Sometimes though, we may make a decision and we don't feel any guidance one way or another. We should take this as a sign that Heavenly Father has great confidence in us and we should just move on ahead and use our agency to choose. That is His plan anyways right?
This talk was particularly helpful as we have some crucial decisions to make moving forward in the adoption and I hope this was helpful to you too!
Sunday, September 30, 2007
Decision Making
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm glad you shared that. I have a hard time making decisions and I have never heard it put that way. Often times I don't feel good or bad after praying about a decision.
I'm so flattered that you quoted me, but what I say is "get my God on"... same thing, but snappier i think.
I like what you said. Sometimes when i pray and pray about something and am really watching for signs but don't see any i wonder if it's a "not yet" or an "I've got something better in mind" sort of response.
Was that Richard G. Scott? I used that as a guide for a talk I gave a couple of years back. I love it because that's totally how prayer works with me...I'm given enough rope, just hope I don't hang myself!
Post a Comment