Monday, January 18, 2010

Treasure Hunting

I'm a thrifter. My penchant for second-hand things goes way back to my high school years in the 90's when grunge was where it was at. Ralph Lauren and Gap were also big but I hung out with the other crowd, if you know what I mean. I love scouring racks and finding those few great things that someone else felt the need to pass on. Pure bliss. I do turn my nose up to some things (underthings, no thank you!) and I always douse myself in Purell when I leave but there is nothing like turning one person's trash into my very own treasure.

On my way to work the other night I stopped at Value Village in the Ballard/Greenwood neighborhood. Score. I walked out with an original painting to add to my vintage florals wall in the dining room and a desk for Ella's room redo (more on that later!). The colors are vivid and all it needed was a little wipe of some stain (Minwax's Early American) on the frame and it was shipshape. 7 bucks!!

What's your best thrifstore find?

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I am a big thrift store person too, and nearly every week at Church someone comments asks where I get my clothes and I have to laugh because I get most of them at Savers!

Marilou said...

Cher, that print was meant for that spot on your wall!! Great find!
My thing for the past year or 2 has been looking in Thrift stores/Value Village for authentic hawaiian aloha shirts and muu muu's. They have to be that retro fabric(kind of rough)from the 50/60's and with the inside tag that says it was actually made in Hawaii. What I plan on doing with these clothes is cutting them up for the fabric and making a really sweet retro hawaiian quilt/blanket.

Williams Family said...

Lo-ove your picture! And it looks so perfect with your other flowers. I am working on a DI find for our dining room. I am in the middle of priming it because it really needed a paint job. I'm crossing my fingers it will turn out FAB-ULOUS! I'll let you know.

Georgia said...

It really does look perfect with those prints we found in Ellicot City! How fun! It just adds to the pleasure when you know it was a steal, doesn't it!

Stephanie said...

This is so out-of-Domino.

Lynley said...

Only brilliant people use the word "penchant".

Love shopping at "The Village"- used to not like to, but that was before I really got into it. You have to go now and then and be willing and patient to look through the chaos.