Thursday, July 9, 2009

Deck Me

We finished staining the deck a while ago and the big expanse of brown was just calling for some furniture to break it up. I picked up 3 patio pieces in Utah on one of my garage sale runs with the kids, all for a whopping total of $16. I then needed to find a table and chairs set (the other pieces are for lounging) and I wanted something vintage. I didn't really want to buy something new that would look used in a year's time.

One night I was refreshing the craigslist page when a free patio set popped up. I liked the pictures and called the girl right away. She said it was mine if I could come that night. I went to the address to find the furniture in nasty condition, as in all covered in green gunk. I couldn't believe I was touching it AND putting it in my car. Luckily Jon's dad had just given us a pressure washer so I just kept telling myself they would look really good. Hang in there, the story gets good. So I pressure washed it one day and was loving it. That could be my new career. Talk about dramatic changes! After the PW and some magic eraser in bleach the set was looking perfect. The seats swivel and tilt back and are super comfortable.


I was curious about how old the set was so I looked all over and found a label on the back of the chairs. I googled the brand and found this. Then I googled "vintage Brown Jordan" and found sets going for an average of $1,000. Craigslist deal of the year for me! Can I hear a woot woot?


I'll spare you all the drama I went through to find cushions for the chairs and leave it at "did you know that Marshalls has outdoor cushions?". Love my little polkadot numbers. Kind of kitchy and vintagey right? An umbrella is on it's way and we'll be dining alfresco in no time...



Isn't it cute?


This is a pot I found on my garage sale runs too, love the mid-century modern lines...


Summertime color...


Hanging pots that have gone crazy, they get lots of sun in the afternoon!

8 comments:

Mom A said...

I saw that slimy green furniture before the transformation. WOW!! Love the polka dots!

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

woot woot! I love it all!

Kim said...

That is AWESOME! Way to go Cher!

Megan said...

I swear Seattle has the best diamonds in the rough. All they have here is crap or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, either way I'm jealous of your finds. You are the ultimate DIYer, I especially love the cushions! You are so creative!

Ali said...

That very well could be the best craigslist buy of the year! Way to go!!

hannie bailey said...

Are you kidding me?! Way to "bargain" shop! That is so something I would do... with my husband shaking his head at me in the background! (but, he always comes around and tells me what a great find I made or job I did!)

I love transforming what seems to be junk into something so cute and fresh! So, that patio set just made me smile!

Georgia said...

Wow! You are amazing! I'll bet the people who gave it away would want it back now!

Sam and Josh said...

Way to go. It looks great.