
Last night boo and I were discussing how much time we waste in front of the computer. 75% of the stuff I get in my inbox is junk and I spend way too much of my free time checking blogs (I love all you that update everyday!!). We thought back to our college days, even early married days (almost 11 years, holy smokes) and thought how little we spent in front of the computer and how much more time we spent doing important things. Don't get me wrong, I covet an iPhone like every other gal and I'm a firm believer in technology but I don't want my kids to remember me as always being in front of the computer.
So I'm trying a detox of sorts today and I think it's going to become a daily habit. A better one that replaces what I've got going on now. I'm turning off my computer everyday now and will only check it at night, after the kids are in bed, and only for a few minutes.
I'm a little nervous because this is going to open up some free time- what to do? Mop the floors that desperately need it? Nah. Paint the baseboards in the basement? Maybe. Sit down and play with the kiddies more? Totally.
Who wants to join me?
image via liberatedboy wordpress
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Shushing All The Noise
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm with you! I've been making a conscious effort to cut back myself. My current computer time is naptime, though I'm sure I could find much better things to do then! :)
Your words touch me; I feel the same. As much of a gift that blogging and reading blogs has been, it has taken something away from my family in the form of time and focus. I hate that it often feels like one more thing I know I should do less ( think Diet Coke, chocolate, forgetting sunscreen) but always put off change to another day.
Because I have a job, I need to be a little more connected than your plan, but I'm thinking one email check in the a.m. and then nothing until after the kids go to bed, too. Great idea.
I really like you and what you stand for - that's a blogessing I've been given.
Dan and I had this same conversation the other night. With my work, I can't turn off the computer all day. But I do try to stay off while the kiddos are home from school and only check email (or at least try to, ha ha) morning and night on the weekends. It's definitely healthy to have a break.
Post a Comment