Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Four Score and Seven Years Ago...

We do a lot of memorization at our "school". So far this year the kids have memorized the Song of Hiawatha by Longfellow and we just finished the Gettysburg Address. Ella was feeling brave enough to show her stuff...

Posted by Picasa


Next is part of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s I Have a Dream speech. It's rather long! So we're just going to do a few short paragraphs. Did you have to memorize something in school when you were a kid?

12 comments:

Leah said...

AMAZING!

EATING THE ABSTRACTION said...

Way to go, Ella!

Matt said...

I didn't have to do that til 7th grade! Ella, you little smartypants! Way to go!

Luvs, Auntie Megan

Rebecca said...

You go girl! Very well done ... Yay!

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

"The Road Less Traveled" by Robert Frost, and the Declaration of Independence. Do I still know them? Nope! Good job Ella.

Amanda said...

Like the other commenter, I remember doing that in the 7th grade. She's obviously gifted in the oratorical arts! Get that girl a podium!

I'm very impressed. I know you home school and I'd love for you to write more about your curriculum, your time management, all that kind of stuff. While we don't home school, I find it trying enough just managing homework, working on kindergarten readiness, and so on.

You're an awesome mom.

MLH said...

Abe Lincoln is one of my heroes and segments of that speech resonate deeply, if only my feeble mind could retain ALL the words for recall.

Ella - that was an outstanding effort and as you come to know Lincoln, what you recited will permeate your very soul one day.

So proud of our granddaughter!

Georgia said...

Ella rocks!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good Job Ella!

Seattle Jon said...

Can someone please explain to me why my post with this same video, despite being posted 12 hours before Cher's, only has 1 comment while Cher's has 9!

Kim said...

Good job Ella! Take that girl on a trip to DC!

Dad/Papa/David/Grandpa said...

Ella,

I am so very impressed! I hope you can visit the real Gettysburg and visit the actual spot where Abraham Lincoln gave it. It is pretty close to where Nana Mary-Anne and Papa live. We go to Gettysburg often because we love the town so much. Uncle Jake and I are going to participate in the reenactment of a Civil War battle called New Market this week. We are going to be part of the 51st Virginia Infantry. The heroes of the battle were 15-18 year old boys. We will dress up as real Confederate soldiers and even shoot muskets!
It is so cool that you worked so hard to memorize such an important speech by a great man.
I bet Will could do it too but he was too shy.