It's pretty much just like anything else in parenting- super rewarding and fun and excruciatingly hard at the same time. How that is possible, I don't know. But that's how it feels! Homeschooling has seen lots of changes already. It's only been two weeks! We're working out the kinks, ditching some things, picking up others. It's all good. Here's what we've done so far:
Researched an animal and headed to the zoo to see the animals and draw pictures of them.
(The kids are putting their pennies down the funnel- their favorite thing)
Went on a nature hike, wrote down what we saw and drew pictures of different leaves.



Had two math tests- they both had perfect scores! (Whew.)
Started reading The Swiss Family Robinson together.
Working on their first book reports.
Learned the 7 continents, what the word "monotone" means, and how to read big words like "abundantly" and "creation" to name a few.
Had lots of time to build cities out of legos, play horses (ella's personal fave), build a doll house out of a box and dolls out of popsicle sticks, and make a sundial to see the shadow of the sun move throughout the day.
That's a little bit of what we've been doing and so far so good. I look forward to one day being one of those veteran homeschool moms that has all kinds of confidence and knows how each of her kids learn. I'm still working on that and will be for a while!
Here are the kids on their first day of school- it was a little sunny for them! Kind of weird to have their pictures on the front porch and then we turned around and went right back inside!


Wednesday, September 17, 2008
So What's It Like?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I am glad things are working out for you. Way to go!
As far as figuring out how they learn, I just use a variety of methods so it will hopefully hit everyone's style of learning in my classes. It's more fun that way, anyway. After some time you will see if they are more visual learners, or kinesthetic learners, etc.
Sounds fun. Can I come to class? If you need guest speakers, let us know!
Wow! I am so impressed. I am a big chicken and probably would have justified not following that prompting:) Your school room looks awesome, your cute kids look happy, and you sound like you are handling it like a pro! Thanks for inspiring me to do a little better!
You know, perfect scores 100% of the time with all your students... that is an enviable track record for a teacher - you must be doing great!!!
your kids are adorable! i love to read about what people are doing for lessons. are you using a curriculum, or are you picking and pulling from different places?
Post a Comment