Thursday, September 11, 2008

Plant Eater?




I want to incorporate more vegetarian meals into our weekly menu and make meat-eating a little less frequent but I'm stumped.  Any ideas? I need kid-friendly recipes of course...If you have any great ones please email me or send me to your favorite website!  

8 comments:

Georgia said...

What a beautiful market! Is that downtown Seattle? Pike's? Or is that just fish? Ask Krissy...She makes some very delicious things that are even vegan!

EATING THE ABSTRACTION said...

Hey Cher, when I get a sec I'll e-mail you some of my favorite meals that I make at home. Most are very simple with little prep (as necessitated by my galley kitchen). In the meantime, here are some great vegetarian recipe blogs I've found in the last few weeks:
http://www.vegalicious.org/
http://veganyumyum.com/
http://everydaydishtv.blogspot.com/
http://havecakewilltravel.com/
Some of the recipes on these pages may seem intimidating because of some ingredients that are unusual to carnivores, but it's fun to see what's possible.

Seattle Jon said...

There is this great new food called veggie steak. It's green, but otherwise looks just like steak and tastes just like steak. In fact, I think it might actually be steak that has been dyed green, but that doesn't matter. We should try it on one of your veggie nights!!

The Husband

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Please share any new recipes you get. PS- I think Cory would leave the same comment as Jon.

Sam and Josh said...

Cher there is a book called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld and you put purees of vegetables and fruits in the food and your kids will never know. Kind of fun too.

Stephanie said...

I'm doing that more too. It's been a good experience and I'm increasingly motivated after reading that wonderful article on the Word of Wisdom in the Ensign a few months ago. It really captured the essence and made me realize that we really "don't get it" most of the time. It's not just about abstaining from things that cause a chemical dependency in our bodies, but also contribute to it's overall health. Anyway, it's on my mind too. I think if you do fish two times a week, and them maybe something with pasta & veggies...that'll be easy and kid-friendly.

Melinda said...

You know, I have luck with giving my kids a one dish supper of just peas, or just salad or just corn. No bread, no casserole, just the vegetable-- extremely well prepared and yummy. If they eat their whole bowl of supper, they can have all the brownies (jessica seinfield style) that they want. We call the dinner "peas and brownies"

jora said...

I think vegetable and pasta soups and vegetable and cheese gratins are great ways to eat vegetarian even when your family is not. :) I like to have at least a couple of veg meals a week too. But we do still love our steaks. :)