Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ella's Vignette

Ella was in her room for a long time organizing it on Saturday. This is her open shelving "vignette" which I think is really cute. We also finished her bed (I need to touch it up a little bit with some stain) and I think it turned out well. There are a few reasons I decided to make a bed instead of buy one.  First, I wanted something that was solid wood and not mdf.  Second, I wanted one that wasn't a true loftbed height, which I would find scary as a kid (who am I kidding, I'm still afraid of heights!).   Third, I wanted something modern but couldn't fathom spending $1500 for a kid's bed!  I found plans online and we tweaked them to fit what we wanted.  All told we spend about $150 dollars on the materials and a total of about 8-10 hours working on it.  The bed is quite big for her small room but if I were a little girl I would think it's pretty cool. We hung beaded lights under the bed and everyday she has a new set up of dolls or something else.  She loves it!  

Another great thing about it is that when she outgrows the need to have the space underneath (or is she does) we can cut the legs down to whatever height she would like.  



4 comments:

Georgia said...

The bed is cool! I'm impressed that you did it yourself. I would have loved something like that as a child. I would have used the space creatively for all kinds of things!

Marilee said...

The bed reminds me of a bed that Clark made at school. He shares a room with 3 others and there is very little space so he designed and built a bed very similer( i cannot spell that word, o my gosh) to Ella's. He has chicken wire stuff all around the bottom sides and hangs his backpack, photos, whatever he needs and everything is at his fingertips. He even built one for Neal last summer.

Stephanie said...

You are so amazing. Don't let Ben read this...he thinks you are SO cool since you know how to use a drill and build things :) Home Depot really lost out...

Mom A said...

Ella, I can't wait to have some sort of "girl" party under your bed.