I took the boys to Great Harvest today down by U Village. Noah had to get his blood drawn at Children's (testing for food allergies) and so I took them for a treat afterwards. They each got a whole wheat breadstick and I got a thick slice of warm wheat bread. Yum. The boys have also been in to steamers lately! At most of the coffee places here they offer kids vanilla steamers- just a little warmer than room temperature and flavored with vanilla. What a healthy snack! They also have deal going on right now that if you buy one of their Illinois Prairie soup mixes you get 6 whole wheat rolls for free! The soup mix was $8 so I have a complete dinner for under $10. I am simmering the soup now and it smells wonderful. I'm adding roasted chicken to mine to make it more hearty. Check out your local GH to see if they have the same deal!
Then I saw a Martha Stewart show today that got my wheels turning. I think I might have found something that I would like to help E. and W.'s school out with- advocating for healthy lunches. A woman was on M.S. is a principal of a school that has a thousand students and they only offer fresh, healthy fare for their lunches. Since the school has been implementing this program they have saved over $400,000 in 8 years. Eating healthy does not mean more expensive! I'm going to gather some more information and schedule a meeting with the principle and see what we can do. I would love to be able to have E. and W. buy lunch at school but when I look at the menu now I see very little, if anything, I want them eating. What do you think? If I posted some websites offering information would you talk to your schools too?



5 comments:
Yep. Been wanting to do this - Michael LOVES to eat school lunch here but the food is disgusting. In Boston it rocked, but in the South . . well, lets just say it's all processed and fried. YUCK!!!
Let me know if you gather any info and I'll jump on board!
We had a Great Harvest by my house in CA. which I did not frequent, sad to say. But today Michelle and I are going to bake flaky rolls after school. It will be especially fun because it snowed a ton last night and now the wind is blowing!!!!
That is such a good idea! You would be great at that. I'm so glad that someone else is concerned about the growing obesity epidemic and health concerns of children. Go for it!
Megan
I have mixed feelings about the whole school lunch thing...I ate lunch with J before Thanksgiving and was very disappointed in the healthy selection. After that meal I decided he was going to eat home lunch. It worked for a week just because he cut his lip and had to each soft foods. He then went off track for several weeks, and I decided to start up again. He did not want my lunch when he saw the schools selections. So, I let him eat school lunch. However, I did eat lunch with him again this week and my eyes were opened. The sandwiches are served on whole wheat bread, they have fresh fruit: apples, bananas, oranges, a salad bar with carrots and broccoli, and other frozen fruit such as peaches and strawberries. So I must say that I am feeling better about school lunch these days. I know the school had all of the fresh fruit and vegetables when I ate there in November...I was just too distracted to notice. I feel that the school could improve more, so let me know how things go.
It's a great idea Cher. I saw a film about a school in WI that did this and their behavioral challenges at school went down and grades went up too. They also eliminated unhealthy vending machines.
Post a Comment